- When he bone storms, don’t stop DPS. Just move out of the way if he gets too close.
- Always take the spikes out first.
- He resets threat after his bone storm, so misdirect.
Despite not doing much of this correctly, we managed to get him down so fast I didn’t get to feel the pain of my mistakes. It’s a good thing I’m pretty, because I’m sure not getting this raid slot for my skill.
- Adds first, boss when they’re down.
- Pick an add tank and help him first. Be ready to run to the back or the other side if something is still up when you’re done.
- Marks is best for this fight because your volley is buffed, and you can roll serpent stings on an add and the boss (assuming you have the chimera shot glyph)
- When you’re AOEing adds, feel free to swap your serpent sting on Deathwhisper for a viper sting. Chances are you’ll be running low on mana- even if you happen to have a judgement of wisdom on your target, volley won’t proc the mana gain.
- Do. Not. Stand. In. Anything. Including the path of a ghost!
This is a simple fight to describe, but it is more challenging than it sounds.
- If you’re on offense, bind your rocket pack to something like shift-mousewheel up. Helps prevent you from getting stuck and killed on the enemy ship.
- Also, if you can arrange to do some incidental DPS on a second target (like a rocketeer) while you focus the mage, do it. For me this meant keeping a serpent sting up on one of them.
- If you’re on defense, make sure to get good use out of your misdirects.
- If you’re on a canon, get good at not letting your gun overheat.
To be honest, I only saw one part of this fight- the coolest part! I got to use a jet pack to jump back and forth and kill mages :)
- This is the fight we’re currently working on.
- It feels like, on 25, that there’s not enough room to avoid sharing the blood nova.
- For this fight, SV definitely has more DPS and utility than MM. MM has too much of a ramp up to effectively do more DPS than SV on short lived beasts, and SV can proc lock and load with frost traps. Also, if you’re doing it right, you’ll be moving a lot, and that harms MM more than SV.
- Pre-pot, and blow all cooldowns before the first beasts spawn- you’ll get enough time to use most of it on the boss.
- Before every beasts spawn, run to the bottom of the stairs and drop a frost trap, and then disengage back to your position.
- Every beast phase, you have to tab target a beast, distracting shot, concussive shot, and then beat the snot out of it. Ideally your frost trap should have procced a lock and load that will do most of the DPS.
- Have a mouseover distracting shot macro set up, and use it as soon as you see any beast catch up to anyone and start attacking, as long as your beast isn’t on you.
- If you see a beast in melee (because someone forgot to stop AOE), do not mouseover taunt- you’ll risk taunting Saurfang. Tab target to the new one, and distracting shot it.
- Chances are your raid will save heroism/bloodlust for his 30% enrage- since you pre-potted, you should have a potion available for this. Also, depending on the time taken, you might have other cooldowns available.
- Whatever you do, make sure that you always kite beasts before DPSing Saurfang. Even if you’re at only 2%, a single beast hammering away on someone will quickly get Saurfang back a ton of health.
Like I mentioned, I’ll write a proper guide to this once I’ve done it enough.
In other random news, while researching my SV PvE spec for Saurfang, I discovered that even though I have a fairly high passive armor pen, as well as an armor pen proc trinket, my SV build does more DPS than my MM build. I don’t know if it’s the new gear or the patch 3.3 changes, but I suggest you go take a look at femaledwarf.com and see if you’re in the same situation.
I think I may have too much money for my own good- I bought the battered hilt this weekend, and proceeded to finish a really truly cool quest line that resulted in my new 2 hander. Since they nerfed the drop rate on these, the prices had sky-rocketed to 20k gold. Well, I’d rather buy this than a vanity mount gold sink any day.