I hate gearlists! Personally, I do the content my guild asks me to, and bid on anything I can use. I’ll bid on stuff I can’t use if it will prevent a cat druid from getting it, but that’s a subject for another post (stupid furballs with their stupidly unbalanced DPS!) That said, I’m going to post a bit of a gearlist today!
Now we all know how to check our itemization DPS stats right? Well, if not, you can either import your chatracter into Shandara’s DPS excel spreadsheet, or use the online port at www.femaledwarf.com. Either way, you will be able to calculate your “DPS per point” for all the main stats. Now you know what we’re looking for in gear. Edit: here‘s mine
Next, we look through Wowhead to see what gear we can use, slot by slot. I’ve created a series of very handy filters that will serve you well for finding hunter gear that will strip out PvP, melee, tank, and caster stuff. This is a general filter that shows you all available sources of level 80 PvE epics.
Now, I can’t tell you what best in slot is for your character- there’s too many variables. What I can do is show you to a list of all the hunter gear for this slot, and help you figure out what you want to aim for.
- Ranged weapon: You have several nice options in here, from crafted to Ulduar 25 hard mode. Get whatever you can put your hands on, but bear in mind that one DPS more on the tooltip is worth up to 4 times as much as a point of hit or agility.
- Two handers: I try to avoid hit on these because there’s a lot on the other gear we get. The enchant for these is 110 AP, which is much more expensive but about equal to the enchants for two one handers. Most of our melee weapons are shared with other classes, so don’t feel awkward about bidding or rolling on something with feral attack power.
- Dual One Handers: the enchant for these is 52 agility (26 per hand). You will find that rogues probably want the daggers more than you do, but you can get equivalently good stats with a pair of one handers as you can with a two hander.
- Chest: Really, you want the tier 8 piece here (especially because it’s purchasable with emblems). Don’t be afraid of leather if it’s got better stats overall, however be reminded that leather is supposed to be for rogues, and you should only consider it on the rare items that don’t have expertise.
- Head: Again, you probably want the tier 8 piece here as you can buy it with emblems. You’ve got some other solid options as well. No leather options here.
- Shoulders: Your tier 8 shoulders drop from Yogg, so they might be the last thing you upgrade, if your guild is still working its way there. You can get equally good options from the iron council or flame leviathan 10 man hard mode. There’s also some suitable leather from 25 man Kologarn, and of course plenty of options before Ulduar.
- Hands: [edit: T8 are not buyable] There are a lot of options here. The nice part of having a lot of options is that if you have a stat imbalance (like in my case, being unable to even get close to being under the hit cap), you can probably find something that doesn’t make the situation worse.
- Boots: A nice variety here, with one of the best pairs you can get being crafted. If you can afford it, go for it. If not, there’s plenty of other good choices.
- Legs: [edit: T8 are not buyable] At least among the 226 iLvl drops, it’s hard to find stuff without hit.
- Belt: I’m still toting around my first upgrade from Naxx. If you can’t use hit rating (no gemming or enchanting for hit, and you’re close to or over the cap), then the cheap vendor belt won’t help you. The craftable Ulduar equivalent one is nice, but probably pricey. That leaves a few bosses that will drop what you need.
- Bracers: Frustratingly, the only 25 man option for hit capped hunters is a flame leviathan leather piece. No shortage of hit on bracers though.
- Neck: The cheap purchasable neck here is within spitting distance of the hard mode Vezax neck, and costs very few emblems. Necks are always one of the easiest things to upgrade, and seem to be itemized very well.
- Rings: I’m still toting around my 8000g teleport bling and a T7 badge ring because I haven’t even been able to be outbid on a hunter-appropriate ring yet. That said, there are apparently 2 bosses (Vezax and Ignis) that drop one on normal 25 man.
- Cloak: This is a rough one. The T7 vendor one blows, and there’s precious few places to grab an upgrade in 25 Ulduar. I lucked out and got mine from Iron Council. Rings and cloaks. Screw’em.
- Trinkets: Saved the hardest for last. There’s no easy way to filter out stupid trinkets, but this is about as small a list as I could get. Basically, the darkmoon card: greatness will usually give us the most bang for our buck. Other popular options are loatheb’s shadow or the mirror of truth when you’re starting up, the grim toll, bandit’s insignia, or fury of the five flights from 25 man tier 7, and then the pyrite infuser, wrathstone, mjolnir runestone, and dark matter. Or the… uhh… vanquished clutches of yogg-saron. Which I’m not going near. Problem with most trinkets is that they have hit on them as a passive bonus. Getting rid of that can open up many more options for us in the above lists.