I was so excited about this post, I used two exclamation points in the title. That’s one over my budget, but I’ll just have to try and save one from another post sometime.
Well, the servers have been up and down like a toilet seat. I haven’t been able to play for long, and we couldn’t raid or anything, but I got my auctions up. Today I’m going to go over the raw changes to the hunter class and start laying the groundwork for how to hit top DPS in this patch.
The biggest changes first:
- We can’t trap dance any more. Frost traps won’t trigger lock and load unless they’re hit by something that is vulnerable to the snare effect.
- That’s not too bad, because you don’t need to be at long range for sniper training any more! You just have to be standing still to get the 6% bonus.
- Speaking of a 6% bonus, we have a new ability called black arrow that can proc lock and load and gives us a 6% boost to damage 50% of the time (or more if you spec resourcefulness).
- Serpent sting no longer triggers lock and load procs.
- Kill shot is back on the global cooldown.
- You want a wolf. (Edit: here‘s Here‘s the pet build I’m suggesting for survival. Wild hunt > shark bite unless your gear is quite low)
- Our ammo stacks like crazy now.
- The quiver haste has been taken off quivers and rolled into the base stats. It affects at least auto shot and steady shot, but I haven’t tried measuring it with stuff like the teleport on my band of the kirin tor.
- You can buy a second spec, but you won’t need it unless you pvp.
Now, lets go over black arrow. First off, it’s going to make huntards out of a bunch of us, because you’ll need to go and train all three levels of it after you take your talent point. It shares cooldowns with traps, and is equally effected by resourcefulness. Its effects last for 15 seconds, so talented for a 24 second cooldown, you will have a 62.5% uptime. The effects you get for this are a nice DOT that has a chance to trigger a lock and load, and a 6% DPS increase while it’s active. This means you’ll be averaging 1, maybe 2 lock and loads per minute, instead of forcing them with traps and getting 2-3.
Now, since kill shot is on the global cooldown, you can’t macro it to automatically fire any more. You’ll have to completely redo whatever macros you use to make sure none of them have more than one ability that triggers a global cooldown. As always, don’t even bother trying to write a castsequence macro- it will only cost you DPS when it screws up. And it will screw up.
Talents and Glyphs
Here’s the tentative best DPS spec for raiding at the moment. I left the floater point out, but according to the DPS spreadsheet, that’s best spent in hunting party. The glyphs are also really close- you can sub the kill shot glyph into any major slot other than explosive shot and your DPS will be similar.
Edit: on short fights where you don’t need to bring replenishment with hunting party, and you have no mana problems, this might get you better results. If you’re anywhere near the enrage timers on your weekly runs though, don’t take it.
Edit: Shot rotation
That’s it for now folks- I’m going to write some more tomorrow, but I wanted to dash this off before I leave for work.